What are Chakras?
Your body contains seven chakras, or these are also called energy centers. The chakras are aligned along the midline of your body. Together, the seven chakras govern your psychological, physiological and mental characteristics. I’m going to share some helpful ways how to open and balance your root chakra.
The ideal is for all your chakras to be balanced, in harmony, and active (also referred to as ‘open’). Unfortunately, a chakra can become closed, or underactive. When this occurs, it affects your characteristics associated with that particular chakra. In order to restore your wellbeing, it is necessary to open these underactive chakras. I hope you will be able to learn more about how to open and balance your root chakra after reading this article.
First things first, so how did the first person to do this know how to activate root chakra? Read on to find out how.
When was discovered that anyone can open their root chakra?
The discovery of how to open the root chakra is an interesting story about life. The concept of root chakra first came to light during the esoteric medieval era wherein it became an important part of theories about physiology and psychic energy centers that emerged across Indian traditions.
Blocked Root Chakra
A closed root chakra or a blocked root chakra means that your sense of security anywhere has been compromised. You don’t feel like you belong. You don’t feel grounded. Worry not, their ways on how to open your root chakra.
Why do Chakras Become Blocked?
Moreover, a balanced chakra becomes a blocked root chakra when there is an imbalance in the energy flow in your body. A person will exhibit numerous blocked root chakra symptoms.
Signs of Root Chakra Blockage
- Unappreciative of the joys of life
- Health problems
- Disconnection from others
- Identity crisis
- Low self-esteem
- No interest in intimate relationships
- Development of an eating disorder
Unblocking Your Root Chakra
We present you simple and easy ways on how to unblock root chakra and help you bring power back to your energy centers. These will make a difference in your life.
- Practice yoga
The Foundation of It All
The first chakra, which is the foundation of your chakra system, is the aptly named root chakra. The root chakra is associated with your physical well being and power and connects you with the physical world. It is concerned with being physically present and feeling comfortable and at home in various situations, with others, and with yourself. If your root chakra is closed or underactive, then you will feel unwelcome very easily. Your emotions will be plagued with feelings of being powerless, fearful and nervous. In order to overcome this, you need to open your root chakra.
Where is the root chakra located in our body?
The root chakra’s location in the body is at the root of the spinal cord. It can also be found in the perineum, in the first three vertebrae and the pelvic plexus.
Balance the Foundation of Your Energy Centers
It is critically important to open and establish a sense of balance in your root chakra. This is what will enable you to feel safe, secure, stable, and grounded in your life. It will enhance your feeling of connectedness to your physical body, and empower you to feel present in the here and now. Feeling that you have enough ‘territory’ will displace any feelings of distrust of others.
Great Techniques for Opening the Root Chakra
The root chakra, as the first chakra and the base of the chakra system, is the most physical of all the energy centers. This means that it can be strengthened through physical exercise which is also the most effective way how to open a blocked root chakra as well. This holds particularly true for all activities that empower you to feel more aware of, and connected to, your body.
A few caveats: do not overdo physical activity to the point of exhaustion, and avoid all activities that will leave you insensitive to pain.
Physical activity here refers to any activity that will enhance your awareness of your body. So sports, martial arts, yoga, walking, etc are all great. Even doing chores like washing the car or vacuuming the carpet can be considered physical activities.
It can also be helpful to walk barefoot on the ground, grass or beach. Connecting with the earth and nature is a very powerful grounding exercise.
Even certain clothes you wear can help ground you. Women will find themselves feeling more grounded (some have even said more yang or slightly masculine) by wearing jeans and tennis shoes or boots (not the high heeled variety). Cowboy boots are very grounding. Boots, in general, will support this centeredness.
Colors also hold a certain vibration of depth and groundedness. Darker colors over light pastels are more grounding and red is a great color for activating the root chakra.
Root Chakra Activation Symptoms
These are the root chakra awakening symptoms that one will undergo when one has mastered the art of how to open root chakra.
- The feeling of being grounded
- Heat sensation on different parts of the body
- Insomnia and Dreams
Meditations Root Chakra
Meditations for root chakra is excellent for Root Chakra Healing. Read on to learn more about how to open root chakra with meditation.
Pursuits that encourage mindful awareness of your bodies, such as yoga and chakra meditation, are just as beneficial, even though you aren’t exactly working up a sweat.
There is a specific chakra meditation for the root chakra.
- Sit in an upright position, as you would for any meditation practice.
- Close your eyes and relax your hands.
- Let your index fingers gently touch the tips of your thumbs.
- As you slowly breathe into the count of 5 and you exhale to the count of 5, bring your attention to the physical location of the root chakra between your anus and genitals.
- Send the breath to that area.
- Now hold your awareness there and chant the sound “LAM” that is associated with this chakra.
Another amazing technique to open your root chakra is to focus on your sense of grounding. This is a simple yet powerful exercise to open up this energy center.
- Simply stand up straight with your feet placed shoulder-width apart.
- Loosen your knees so that they are not locked stiffly into place.
- Bring your pelvis slightly forwards so that your back is still straight.
- Try to distribute your weight evenly along the soles of your feet.
- Rock forward and backward on your feet so that you can feel your weight shift between your heels and toes, and find the midpoint where your weight is evenly distributed. This should create a balanced posture for your body.
- Close your eyes, breathe deeply, and focus on relaxing all your muscles.
- Once your body is completely relaxed, shift your awareness to the sense of gravity pushing your weight downwards.
- Focus on this feeling of sinking your weight downwards for several minutes.
- When you are done, slowly open your eyes and gently come out of the posture.
Certain muscle contractions can also stimulate and open the root chakra. This exercise can be practiced while you are sitting, standing, or even walking. You could even try this out when you’re waiting in a long slow queue, on the phone or standing in line.
- All you need to do is contract the muscles located between the anus and genitals.
- Breathe in slowly as your contract these muscles, gently relaxing them as you slowly exhale.
- Repeat this several times.
- Just as a note of caution – your facial expression might give this one away so practice your poker face at the same time!
- A bonus to this exercise is increasing the strength and power of the bladder muscles. This is especially helpful if you have given birth or as you get a little older. Why? This muscle becomes less strong and tight over time or from stretching it. It’s an excellent way to support this entire area.
This chakra is associated with the color red, so try to light some red candles before practicing these opening exercises. You could also try to eat food that is red in appearance Ie: beets, root vegetables, as well as foods that are high in protein.
It is only by opening and balancing your root chakra that you will be able to open and balance the rest of your energy centers.
Final Thoughts on How to Open Your Root Chakra
Remember that building a strong, vital foundation by opening and clearing the root chakra will make it easier to balance all of the rest of your chakras and will enhance your overall sense of well being in general. Don’t lose faith if you are experiencing blocked root chakra symptoms. There is still hope to lead a happier life on the road to healing. Again, there are ways to help you how to unblock root chakra.
Try it, it will make the world of difference!
- Relationships Done Different Facebook
- Relationships Done Different Twitter
- Relationships Done Different YouTube
Author: Esateys Stuchiner
Esateys (pronounced Ee sáh teez) is an International Life Transformational Speaker, Author, Master Facilitator, Life Coach and Expert in the Human condition. She is a Nationally and Board Certified Nurse Practitioner. For over 30 years, she has practiced, taught and lectured extensively in the allopathic and alternative medicine field.
Esateys is known for her groundbreaking work in the areas of personal empowerment and health restoration using mindset and inner connection as the catalyst for all change.
Esateys describes herself as the ‘Architect of the New You’ and has dedicated her life and professional career to helping her clients create “New Beginnings” by facilitating self empowerment, economic freedom and restored health.
For more information, go to esateys.com.