Focus on the Positive
Betty moved to a new town to look for a job and start a new life. But things didn’t go as she had hoped. Several months passed and she couldn’t get a job. Life became difficult and she decided to go back home to visit her mother. When she got home, she complained to her mother that life was too hard and she didn’t think she would make it.
Her mother took her to the kitchen and placed 3 pots with water on fire. She put ground coffee beans in one, eggs in another, and potatoes in another. After a few minutes, she turned off the heat and called her daughter. She explained how boiling water had a different effect on each: the strong potatoes became soft, the fragile eggs became strong, and the ground coffee beans changed the water but remained unchanged.
Her mother told her that even though adversities would come, it’s what was inside her that would determine the outcome. Betty went back home encouraged. She decided to start a small company from home. It quickly grew and with time she became very successful.
It’s almost impossible to stay positive in a negative world. But negative things happen all the time and you can’t avoid them no matter how you try. Children become rebellious, spouses cheat, health deteriorates, and bills pile up. Can you live a stress-free life while all this is happening? The answer is “Yes!” Positivity can help you to stay positive even when you encounter tragedy. It can play a major role in helping you to live a healthy lifestyle.
What Is Positivity?
The best definition of positivity is this: it is the state of being positive; it is choosing to have a positive attitude and perception no matter what happens in life. Positivity is essential in all facets of life. A positive person is always aware of his thoughts and knows how to block negative thoughts before they take root in his mind. He easily copes with life’s responsibilities, keeps stress at bay, and enjoys life.
Each one of us knows a “negative Nelly,” a person who always complains about anything and everything. If you spend a lot of time around such a person, you can feel totally drained after each encounter. You may also start seeing things negatively.
People tend to focus on the negative more than the positive. Our brains quickly search for negative information and store it. While acknowledging problems is not a bad thing, many people go overboard. They beat themselves up for their failures and allow themselves to dwell on negative situations.
Positive people choose to concentrate on the positive. They know how to tackle failures and challenges without being affected by them. As a result, they are productive, motivated, and successful. Life doesn’t always go according to plan, but positivity can make it easier and more enjoyable.
Negative thinking is very bad for your health. Research shows that people who continuously think negatively have a higher chance of dying. They also will feel badly in their body and in their lives. They will usually have trouble finding or keeping friends which will accentuate their feeling of negativity.
6 Ways to Embrace the Power of Positivity
- Change Your Outlook – Most people are negative because they don’t know how to be anything else. They were raised by negative parents, hung out with negative friends, and got married to negative people. For them, negativity is a way of life. The good news is that changing isn’t hard. First, alter your thoughts and start focusing on the positive. Positive thoughts can give you the confidence you need to move forward. It will support you in living in a state that allows you to enjoy life to the fullest and motivates you to be the healthiest you can be.
- Be Grateful – The worries of life can weigh you down and make you forget how blessed you are. You may be broke, but healthy; sick, but surrounded by a loving family; sad, but at peace. Every morning, think of 5 things you are grateful for. Think about them throughout the day and at night. Your life won’t seem as bad. Learn to cherish each moment and do everything with purpose. Don’t go through the motions, you must be intentional about life. If you are unhappy about something, change it.
- Practice Kindness – Kindness and positivity go hand in hand. Kindness enhances your life and the lives of people around you. When you are kind, you become compassionate, communicate better, and impact people positively. While some people are inherently kind, it’s something we can all cultivate by choice. Expressing gratitude to others is linked to enhanced optimism, energy, and empathy. Perform random acts of kindness and brighten someone’s day: smile at someone, say some kind words, or offer a helping hand.
- Repeat Positive Affirmations – The words you use to describe how you feel or what is happening to you determine the quality of your life. When you look at things positively and find the good in every situation, you will remain happy and optimistic. Use positive affirmations to stay focused on what you want and to take your mind off negative thoughts. The more you repeat your affirmations, the more your life will change.
- Get Rid of Toxic Friends – Without knowing, we pick up the characteristics of the people we spend a lot of time with. If you are surrounded by positive people, you become positive; if negative people surround you, you become negative. Gently tell your negative relatives and friends that you can’t listen to their constant complaints as they will have a negative effect on you. While it is important to be compassionate and empathetic, you cannot be positive if you constantly feed your mind with negative things. This is sometimes one of the most difficult things to do, it is also one of the most important things to follow through with.
- Create a Gratitude Journal – Ideally, every morning and every evening write in a gratitude journal. You can buy a blank journal at a bookstore or you can use a notebook. You can create a binder with lined paper in it. It does not matter what you use. What is important is that you have something that you can write in twice a day.What you’re going to write is what you are grateful for at that moment. It can be anything as simple as I’m grateful that I brushed my teeth today” to “I’m incredibly grateful and joyful that I got a raise.” It can be about how you feel that something has been accomplished or any miracles/events that have occurred in your life. Adding 3 to 5 items every morning and every night will help keep your focus on track of what is really awesome and working in your life that perhaps you have not paid close attention to.There is a saying that I use every day and I invite you to speak it every day yourself. It is,
“My Worst Day is Someone Else’s Wildest Dream.”
7 Memorable Positive Quotes
- Every morning, smile and say “I Love My Life!”
- You possess all the qualities you need to succeed
- Every day brings a new opportunity to change your life
- Difficult paths often lead to amazing destinations
- Tough times don’t last, tough people do
- Face obstacles with courage and you will overcome them
- Surround yourself with people who lift you higher
- This too is temporary and will pass
Transform Your Life With Positivity!
When all is said and done, only you have the power to change your life. Become positive and watch your life start to change. Don’t give room to negative thoughts, say goodbye to them and become a new you.
Watch how you are perceiving what is going on then choose to reframe it. Find a different perspective that will allow you to see things differently. You can always ask yourself “What’s great about this that I haven’t seen yet?”
- Relationships Done Different Facebook
- Relationships Done Different Twitter
- Relationships Done Different YouTube
Author: Esateys Stuchiner
Esateys (pronounced Ee sáh teez) is an International Life Transformational Speaker, Author, Master Facilitator, Life Coach and Expert in the Human condition. She is a Nationally and Board Certified Nurse Practitioner. For over 30 years, she has practiced, taught and lectured extensively in the allopathic and alternative medicine field.
Esateys is known for her groundbreaking work in the areas of personal empowerment and health restoration using mindset and inner connection as the catalyst for all change.
Esateys describes herself as the ‘Architect of the New You’ and has dedicated her life and professional career to helping her clients create “New Beginnings” by facilitating self empowerment, economic freedom and restored health.
For more information, go to esateys.com.