How to Identify and Manage Stress
Does your day start with “ARGHH” how am I ever going to get everything done today? Or when someone says the littlest thing you do you feel this fire or explosive feeling rise within your belly? Do you feel like you are at the end of your rope? Are you just not coping as well as you would like? Does your body hurt? Keep reading I’m going to help you relieve stress with many stress management techniques.
Let’s face it, our lives are in continuous stress. Even being joyful and exuberant is stressful. Stress does not need to be equated to negativity although it usually is.
In this article I am going to discuss what stress is, where it comes from and what you can do about it. I will speak about stress management and stress relief. We will get directly into how to reduce stress. Of course we must have some relaxation techniques if we really want to reduce stress.
I will provide some ideas that perhaps you have never thought or even heard of. I might stretch your ‘thinking box ‘ and your way of perceiving stress. Keep reading, this adventure will continue to unfold.
If you have tried many things for stress relief and they have not worked, then this information is for you.
I will remind you right now; it is great to read articles and gather information on anything including stress but if you do not take action to change the situation and reactions you currently use, you will not get the results you desire. You will think the issue is what’s going on with “that person over there” instead of how you are perceiving things or what you are actually doing to create the change that you would like.
The Facts About Stress
The Health and Safety Executive Organization in Great Britain did a study in 2014 that gave some interesting information. This study was just about work related stress and does not even take into account all the other areas of stress we have every day. Still, it will give you an idea about the severity of this issue.
They studied 1,241,000 cases of employees that were experiencing anxiety, depression. In 2013/14 there were 244,000 new cases that showed anxiety or depression. In 2013/14 anxiety or depression was the reason for 11.3 million days of work missed. That is about 23 days per person. Interestingly, health related professions were high and nurses had the highest level of stress in this group.
According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, anxiety and stress caused two-thirds of all office visits to Family Practice MD’s.
In addition, 43% of all adults experience adverse effects from anxiety and stress. One startling fact is that absenteeism from work costs our American industries over $300 Billion annually.
People are becoming more educated about this issue as 93% of Americans state that their mental attitude, perceptions, thoughts and choices affect their health.
Results of Stress
Did you know that anger, rage and hostility can predict heart disease more readily than obesity, high cholesterol or even smoking? Over 33% of Americans admit that their illnesses are primarily caused by stress.
Stress has been linked to Heart Disease, Ulcers, High Blood Pressure, IBS, Cancer, Suicide, Crohn’s Disease and so many more. The list is long.
Add to that the lack of joy and love in your Life when you feel stressed. When there is no joy, depression and lack of motivation ensue. Productivity falls and Life becomes about just ‘existing’.
What is Stress
Some common stressors:
- Any Change (doesn’t matter if you consider it negative or positive)
- Exposure to Violence (Fight or Flight)
- Things not going the way you think or want them to (not getting ‘your’ way)
- Feeling out of control
- Pressure to live up to someone else’s expectations (including your boss or partner)
- Other people not performing or being the way you want them to (like your children, friends, workmates)
- Lack of trust
- Unhealthy food
- Too much food
- Environmental toxins
- And so much more
Ok, you can see that virtually everything is an invitation to be stressed. Some stress is automatic within the body (like fighting off an illness) and others are coming from your perception about what is happening in your Life at any given moment.
When something is not looking like you would like it to, there is one thing that you can do that will shift your reaction and cause stress relief. If you are resisting something (which causes stress):
You are at choice about how you view, perceive and frame things in your Life. It is the power and control you do have. If you are perceiving something in a way that is stressful, “Change Your Perception”.
Look for another way to view what is happening. You could ask the question (of yourself), “What is another way for me to see this”? It might sound silly and you will be amazed at how magically this works. When your desire is strong and you are really willing to see what is happening from another viewpoint something will occur. Be patient.
There is something that you can also ask yourself. I learned this from The Course in Miracles over 30 years ago and it has stayed with me all these years.
Sometimes we become invested in being right and sometimes we just don’t get things to go the way we want. Have you noticed that you cannot get other people to be the way you would like them to be?
These are all stressors. Stop trying to control the world, instead change the way you LOOK at the world.
In a moment I am going to speak how to reduce stress from a little different perspective. The reason is because I have learned from my over 30 years of practicing medicine and 1000’s of health coaching sessions that stress management is not one simple thing.
Each person has their own stress and stressors and each person handles it in the way they do. Almost everyone has tried techniques or ways to relieve stress.
Sometimes they seem to help temporarily or a little bit. It is likely that what you are currently doing is not completely effective or would not be reading this article.
Stress is energy that is not supportive of a healthy, happy Life. It is resistive energy that constricts and forces the body to release cortisol which is the stress hormone. It means that the body is or has been in a fight or flight situation.
The body has a defense mechanism that will activate and try to create safety and homeostasis. We need to support the body in doing its job better. Therefore let’s look at:
Ways to Relieve Stress
- Change Your Perception of what is going on to one that will help you see it from a less stressful viewpoint (This may seem hard and it is ALWAYS possible.)
- Express energy through exercise (at least 30 minutes daily.) The pent up energy of stress builds and cause breakdown of the cells. This degeneration of the cells will lower the immune system. Illness or disease ensues.
- Walk, ride a bike, go to the gym, lift weights, dance, sing, golf or anything physical that you are drawn to.
- Write in a journal how you are feeling
- Have friends and social interactions that are supportive and loving.
- Sexual Intercourse is another fun method to reduce stress [link to Health Benefits of Sex Article]
- Avoid people who are negative and fault finding
- Avoid violent or scary movies, books or people
- Choose your environment and who you spend time with
- Look for what is working in your Life, at your work, with your kids, in you, instead of what you ‘perceive’, isn’t
- See a coach or counselor to talk out your frustrations or feelings
There are ways to help stress.
Meditate/Breathe – There are many ways to do this, Here is a simple and extremely powerful one:
- Turn off your cell phone. Sit quietly. Close your eyes.
- Breathe in very slowly to the count of 5. (Breathe from your belly.) Watch the breath and observe the thoughts without reacting to them in any way.
- Exhale through your mouth, to the count of 5 following the same pattern. Stay in observation.
- Do this for a full 5 minutes (ideally). If you do not have 5 minutes, breath in and out for as many breaths as you will take time for.
- This can be done while driving, sitting at your desk at work, in the middle of a conversation, while on the phone etc. Obviously, keep your eyes open if driving etc.
- This is very powerful. You can search online for a great hypnotist, purchase downloads or CD’s and use them at bedtime or throughout the day. This can be very helpful.
- You can also learn how to hypnotize yourself.
Tapping – This tool has really changed my husband’s life. Search EFT or The Tapping Solution. It is easy, fast and so effective.
Relaxation Tapes – I have done several processes that are very transformative and relaxing. Contact me at email@example.com for my latest work.
Stress Management must become a priority if you would like to improve the way you feel and the quality of your Life. As a mentioned at the beginning of this article it is great to learn new information and to be sure you create incredible results; right now, pick 3 things that I have suggested that you do not already do and implement them into your Life.
- Take Action
- Make an Unwavering Commitment
- Follow Through
When your stress is reduced you will feel more peaceful. This will reduce the stress of others because peace is contagious. This is one way we can create a Peaceful World. When we start with ourselves we will improve the Mental, Emotional and Physical Health of everyone. Let it begin now.
- Relationships Done Different Facebook
- Relationships Done Different Twitter
- Relationships Done Different YouTube
Author: Esateys Stuchiner
Esateys (pronounced Ee sáh teez) is an International Life Transformational Speaker, Author, Master Facilitator, Life Coach and Expert in the Human condition. She is a Nationally and Board Certified Nurse Practitioner. For over 30 years, she has practiced, taught and lectured extensively in the allopathic and alternative medicine field.
Esateys is known for her groundbreaking work in the areas of personal empowerment and health restoration using mindset and inner connection as the catalyst for all change.
Esateys describes herself as the ‘Architect of the New You’ and has dedicated her life and professional career to helping her clients create “New Beginnings” by facilitating self empowerment, economic freedom and restored health.
For more information, go to esateys.com.