Your mind may be asking, “Why is she starting this article with such a silly exercise?” Here’s why. If you desire to feel what your body needs and desires, you will need to answer the important question, “What is Clean Eating?”
In this article I will define Clean Eating and show you the benefits of doing so. I will also speak to how eating cleanly will help cleanse the body. I will give general information of eating cleanly and cover some recipes or diet meal plans that will help you know how to get started. I will also share a little bit of my own experience.
Clean Eating shares a multitude of meanings and is open to some interpretation.
Clean Eating is ideally a lifestyle where you eat foods that are healthy enough to support natural cleansing and cellular rejuvenation.
A simple start is knowing where your food is coming from. Has it been sprayed with pesticides? Is it organic, unprocessed and NON-GMO? Is it in its natural state or has it been altered in any way? Is it alive or made with additives or anything else that alters it pure state? Has it been injected with hormones or drugs to get it to grow bigger and faster or taste better?
If you contemplate that last paragraph for a moment you might easily understand why you only want to eat unprocessed foods. Your body will be happiest if you eat whole foods. This includes fruits, vegetables, lean meats, seeds, nuts, whole grains, legumes and whole or sprouted grains.
Eat meat or poultry that is free to roam. Eat fish that swim freely (not farmed). Your vegetables will be healthiest if they grow in the garden, have no pesticides or our grown with natural seeds (they have not been altered in any way).
- All processed foods.
- Anything with pesticides or other harmful additives on or in them.
- Non-organic food, ideally.
- Anything that is in a box or package, ideally.
- Genetically modified foods.
- Sugar and Caffeine.
- Reduce Alcohol.
If you eat things that are in a package learn to read every label. Look up those words that look like a foreign language. For years I carried a book around with me that gave the definition of those long, strange words. (I did this for my food and my make-up.)
Now you have the luxury of just putting those questionable words into google, on your phone, while shopping.
One simple rule of thumb is that if the ingredient list is more than 2 or 3 lines….don’t eat it.
If it has words you cannot pronounce or have never heard of, look them up before you buy or eat it.
Shop from the perimeter of the grocery, not from the middle where the processed foods are.
Before we go any further let’s look at why you would consider eating clean. Most will experience:
- Receiving more vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals, all of which, will increase the body’s ability to function at its highest level.
- A Stronger Immune System.
- Clearer Thinking.
- Better Bowel Movements.
- Deeper Sleep.
- Increased Energy.
- Happier Moods.
- Easier ‘Normal’ Weight Regulation.
- More Creativity.
- Increased Self-Esteem.
- Clearer Skin.
- Great Digestion.
- Happy Heart.
- A long term and simple body cleanse and Much More
I write articles every week on cleansing diets and how to do a detox cleanse. Thousands of people are looking to improve their health by doing a quick fix cleansing diet. I do encourage this although, a much better choice is to eat clean every day. Make it a way-of-life.
When you eat as I am suggesting, the times that you do a cleanse will be much faster and easier. Why? Because you will not have the toxin build up that comes with eating fast foods, junk foods, processed, additive laden, chemical filled, high sugar, dead, fake, high trans-fat, genetically modified foods.
Buy These Foods Only Organic
These foods have a tendency to absorb pesticides more than others. Wash all of your food (see below) and avoid the following foods if they are not organic.
- Bell Peppers
- Leafy Greens
Clean Your Food Before Eating
All food is exposed to dirt, toxins and other abusers that when ingested will build up in your body and can create free-radicals and eventually disease.
We use our Kangen (Ionic) Water machine to clean almost everything we eat. There is a specific setting on the machine that creates water that we use to clean our food. It eliminates all toxins. (Kangen water link here)
You can also make your own vegetable wash with:
- Pure white vinegar- 1 cup
- Water (pure and clean)- 1 cup
- Baking Soda- 1 Tablespoon
- Salt- 1 Teaspoon
Mix well and spray the food with the mixture. Let sit for approximately 10 minutes. Rinse really well.
This mixture will last about a week (I would refrigerate although I do not know if that is necessary.)
Clean Eating Principles
- Learn about and eat Superfoods. Superfoods are alive and filled with enzymes and deep levels of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and nutrition. There are many, and here are just a few: Kamut (wheatgrass), Spirulina, Blueberries, Cranberries, Almonds, Avocados and Kale.
- Avoid fat substitutes and do not eat trans fats.
- Stay away from non-fat as these products use processes and additives to make them non-fat. Use regular and low fat instead.
- Vary the whole and unprocessed foods you eat. Do not eat the same foods day after day. Among other things this will prevent food allergies. Your body and your mind will appreciate variety.
- Eat 5 or 6 small meals each day instead of overloading the system with large amount of food it cannot digest easily.
- Eat foods that are low on the food chain. This means fruits and vegetables that come from the garden or are organic. If it has to eat something to live it is higher on the food chain which is more complicated for your body to digest.
- Whole, unrefined and unprocessed foods are your friend.
- Reduce sugar to a bare minimum.
- Avoid pastries, cakes cookies, ice cream, pies, cookies, candies and all the things in this category. Choose fresh fruit to meet your sugar desire.
- Stop all caffeine. Switch to decaf and herbal tea.
- Stop all artificial anything/everything. This includes sweeteners, flavors, coloring, preservatives etc. These are very toxic for your body.
- Pick nutrient dense foods!
- Drink at least ½ ounce of pure, filtered, ideally alkaline water for each pound of body weight you hold.
- Practice portion control. Use a small plate. Put your fork down between bites. Chew each bite at least 20 times.
- Eat in a peaceful environment. Leave the TV off (a hard one for me ☺) Avoid upsetting conversations at meal time.
- Buy fresh food and shop more often so it does not spoil.
Clean Eating Recipes and Diet Meal Plans
I highly recommend you research diet meal plans and clean eating recipes that fit your personal food choices. If you google this you will find many to choose from.
Now that you have all of the basic principles and hopefully the motivation to make a big change in your eating, you can have fun in finding new things and new ways of celebrating food.
If Clean Eating is new for you please start slowly and pick one or two of the Principles from the list above. Do those two for a week or so.
Next, pick one or two more and add those to your New Clean Life. Continue on until you have mastered them all.
It is also a good idea to keep a journal of what changes you are making and how you are feeling. As you release the sugar or caffeine addiction you might not feel so great for a few days. That is ok. Stick with it! It will be worth it!
Let me know how it goes as I too made this shift many years ago. Many would find it hard to believe that when I was younger I would go out dancing and partying, come home and my sister and I would sit and eat a Sara Lee pound cake and a whole container of ice cream before bed.
YEP. I know exactly what it takes and the benefits of doing this Clean Eating thing and I am here to tell you will be forever grateful!
I now eat 99% organic, non-GMO and all of the ways that I have written here. My body is healthy and vibrant and I am grateful for the results I have achieved by eating cleanly over the years.
If I can do it, YOU can too!
Author: Esateys Stuchiner
Esateys (pronounced Ee sáh teez) is an International Life Transformational Speaker, Author, Master Facilitator, Life Coach and Expert in the Human condition. She is a Nationally and Board Certified Nurse Practitioner. For over 30 years, she has practiced, taught and lectured extensively in the allopathic and alternative medicine field.
Esateys is known for her groundbreaking work in the areas of personal empowerment and health restoration using mindset and inner connection as the catalyst for all change.
Esateys describes herself as the ‘Architect of the New You’ and has dedicated her life and professional career to helping her clients create “New Beginnings” by facilitating self empowerment, economic freedom and restored health.
For more information, go to esateys.com.